Clips of Matt

The place to talk about everything
maureen & harry

Clips of Matt

Post by maureen & harry » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Just in case anybody has not seen this, there is a very nice clip on YouTube of Elvis, Frank & Matt that has been put together of them singing My Way.
Also on the John Barry Site, there is a posting by singer Mikey Powell with a link to some audio by Scott Walker and then Matt together with a photo of them from the Mr & Mrs Music (Hatch & Trent).
Mikey also does a very nice tribute version to Matt of "This is the Life".
This is on YouTube.

Sandra

Re: Clips of Matt

Post by Sandra » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:11 am

Thanks Maureen and Harry. I have heard Mikey Powell singing on the MM fan page site and he is the closest to our Matt that I have heard.
Does anyone know anything about him.Where he performs etc?

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Mikey has a website which gives a lot of information about him so you can go and have a look at mikeypowell.co.uk
He also does quite a few other Singers as well as Matt so we think you will enjoy reading about him.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:04 am

https://www.mikeypowell.co.uk/vocal-tributes/ ………………... :) ……………..in the photo on the Matt tribute he looks a lot like Dec from Ant and Dec :wink: ………………...I think he sounds a lot like Michael Buble.
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 am

Just listened to the outstanding clips of Scott Walker songs ………..he sounds just like him...……..what a great singer Mikey is :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 am

Thank you Robert for putting the link on. We agree that Mikey has a great voice and is the nearest we have heard to singing the songs of Matt, Michael Bubble and Scott Walker etc. A very versatile performer.
☺☺☺

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:55 pm

You are very welcome Maureen and Harry and thank you for pointing us all in the direction such a great singer as Mikey :) :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 pm

Listening to Joanna and Montague Terrace (In Blue) ……….I love those songs anyway and Mikey sounds just like Scott Walker singing those songs ……………….awesome :) :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 pm

Here is My Way with Frank Matt and Elvis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKfUkTP-uuU ………….the clips of Matt are taken from the Go With Monro DVD where Matt is actually singing Walk Away :)

jon

Post by jon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am

I live in London and regularly go to the Mediatech facility at the BFI South Bank to watch old TV programmes there and have discovered quite a lot of shows on there featuring Matt as a guest singer. Several of these are from The Talk of the Town episodes hosted by Tony Bennett in the early 70s and it seems Matt was a regular guest as there are several episodes featuring him singing both solo and in duets with Tony. One of my favourites has Matt singing Time After Time in a programme from 1972 - one of the best versions I have ever heard!

He also appeared on several other programmes such as The Des O'Connor Show in 1970, on which he sings a great live version of We're Gonna Change The World, and The David Nixon Show from June 1972 ,when he does a great live version of Sarah's Coming Home. I'm not aware that these appearances are on any of the currently available DVD releases, certainly not on any that I've got. I have watched them many times, they're so good!

There are also a few shows featuring Johnny Mathis singing live which I have never seen before, particularly The Dickie Henderson Show from March 1971 in which he performs a great version of Day In, Day Out and Love Story.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:16 am

I'm not sure if any of those are on any of Matt's DVD releases...….I know he does sing a duet on one of the releases with Tony Bennett...…...I wonder if Michele knows of these clips as I'm sure she would be interested for any release on DVD in the future ……….and Jon, Matts version of Time After Time on CD is awesome too, Mats version of that song is the ultimate version :)

john

Post by john » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:23 am

I am pretty sure that We're Gonna Change The World is on the Des O Connor Vol 1 dvd.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Jon, the mediatech facility sounds good and take it you have to visit the location to see the shows.

We did watch the broadcast of the three shows Matt did with Tony which were great and we taped the audio of them on a cassette tape (no video in those days!) but sound not too good. We later got a very good copy of "The Second Time Around" and the Matt classic "Time After Time" from the first show and then managed to put them together on a CD. Hopefully perhaps the shows might be available on DVD one day.

We think the duet "Chicago" is on Matt''s DVD "The Ultimate Performer".

The David Nixon Show is on YouTube which we have watched with the really nice version by Matt of "Sarah's Coming Home".

Rmoore

Post by Rmoore » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:48 am

Yes, Michele is aware of these (the estate has copies) but DVD release is unlikely. Fremantle who own the Thames TV catalogue are not as cheap to license from as others - which is why we haven't used the Nixon - and Tony Bennett owns partial rights to the series and has to give permission for it to be used. He allowed us to use the one track on DVD, but wouldn't let us issue any more.

We have material from the USA, Spain, Australia and UK (including some only recently found) which we would love to release, alas the licensing costs of the US shows are prohibitive (£2000 per minutes anyone? - That's how much they want for Matt's Ed Sullivan shows for instance) and Australia isn't much better. The Spanish TV company won't even speak to us, let alone license anything (Universal have attempted to talk to them too - no answer). The UK footage is fine, but there isn't enough to make it worth while. The sales of DVD's have dropped considerably so it's even less likely for anyone to take this forward.

Glad there is a way for some to see these.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Nice to read your reply Richard...…..of those mentioned I would personally love to see any of Matts Ed Sullivan show appearances...…..if and when I win the Lottery I will pay for those Ed Sullivan appearances Richard :)

Return to “The Lounge”