MOTOWN THE MUSICAL

The place to talk about everything
karl

MOTOWN THE MUSICAL

Post by karl » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 am

Six of us were at the show last night with an Italian meal beforehand.

I wasn't too happy with the first half and felt the sound was too loud, after the interval it started to take off but I have to say the guy who played Berry Gordy stole the show for me. Near the end he sang a ballad that just grew and grew - his voice was fantastic. When he finished the audience went wild. No idea who he is as I rarely buy programmes these days.
Found it hard to believe that Gladys Knight & The Pips were never mentioned nor any of their songs featured, they were very much a part of Motown.

john

Re: MOTOWN THE MUSICAL

Post by john » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 am

Glad the show picked up for you in the end Karl.

paul jh

Re: MOTOWN THE MUSICAL

Post by paul jh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:29 am

Gladys Knight and the Pips should have been included. I loved their Motown era (especially Friendship Train), but most of their biggest hits occurred after they left Motown, so that may be why they weren't included.

I don't care for any of these "jukebox" musicals. The worst is the latest musical about the Temptations. I wanted to walk out when they included If You Don't Know Me By Now by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes. This has nothing to do with the Temptations, but it helped advance the plot.

I saw Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes last spring and they were fantastic. They sang all the hits. They weren't the originals of course, but they did have one man who sang with Harold Melvin and Teddy Pendergrass.

Return to “The Lounge”