HOLIDAYS

The place to talk about everything
karl

HOLIDAYS

Post by karl » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 am

Well having booked this holiday 20 months ago the big day is almost here, I fly to Southampton today and board QM2 tomorrow and sail to New York - will spend a few days there before flying on to relatives in Ohio with a short road trip to CIncinatti and see Gladys Knight in concert.

john

Re: HOLIDAYS

Post by john » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 am

Have a great time Karl.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:08 am

Sounds amazing Karl :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:20 pm

Hope you enjoy it Karl :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

karl

Post by karl » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Arrived home Tuesday night.

I had the most wonderful time.

Arriving at the docks in Southampton I looked up at the QM2 and said "Oh My God It's Big". It was absolutely wonderful and it's amazing to think a large two tier theatre with a huge stage and hydraulics is aboard a ship.

I attended a few lectures on songwriters and was pleased to see and hear a clip of Matt, a BBC America correspondent Jon Sopel was also on board and I attended his lectures too.

Two other great features were the grand lobby with a sweeping staircase either side and the two tier restaurant, I also did a tour of the galley as my dad was a chef. The chefs all did a lap of honour near the end of the cruise.

Arriving at my hotel in New York the cab driver had to drop me at the end of the street as their was a massive weekend market occupying several streets. My friend Tere from Connecticut called me after I checked in as she was close by in another hotel ,she knew the city better than I and was a great help. First off we saw The Play That Goes Wrong which was even funnier second time around.I had seen it in a large theatre in Edinburgh but this was a much smaller venue which enhanced the very funny play and the actors worked their socks off. Keeping on the theatre subject we also saw Ain't Too Proud To Beg the musical on Motown group The Temptations.

Visiting 9/11 was top of my list for daytime and it was a very moving experience, seeing walls covered with people who lost their lives really brought it home just how many perished, one picture of a very young Police Officer who looked no more than 20 or so, another pic of a female Police Officer helping an injured man to safety only to lose her life when she re-entered the building - her colleagues found her body two days later. One thing that impressed me was how quiet everyone kept they were very respectful, I''ve actually heard more noise in church! A badly damaged fire truck and bent and twisted steel girders from the building were also on display.

We also visited Top Of The Rock (Rockafella centre) and Grand Central station which I've never seen on previous visits to the city, wanted to see other sights but time was against us.

We ate twice at Bubba Gumps as we love it and I can recommend the Mac & Shrimp and Bread & Butter Pudding which is the best I've ever tasted. Their cocktails are also great.

Flying on to Ohio and spending several days with different cousins one also celebrating the same birthday as yours truly the day before I arrived. After a few days two more cousins picked me up and we drove to Cincinnati, checking into out hotel we found they'd had a fire so moved us to another hotel which turned out to be wonderful and they never charged us a thing and food was also included plus happy hour so we were delighted! We saw Gladys Knight in concert there, I had seen her in Edinburgh about two years ago but this time she had no warm up and stayed onstage for 90 minutes and never even took a sip of water. Making her entrance the audience gave her a huge applause with a standing ovation at the end. It was good to see black & white people so enjoying themselves.

Driving over a bridge from Cincinnati to Kentucky is like driving from Edinburgh to Fife and we found the most beautiful Basilica there with amazing stained glass windows.

I had a feeling that with everything going so well something is bound to happen and it did.I was routed from Cleveland - New York - Manchester - Edinburgh. We boarded the flight only to be told something was wrong with a wheel, after a few minutes we were asked to de-plane. FIve hours later we took off in another plane which was pushing my 10pm flight with Thomas Cook to Manchester, I knew in advance I had to re-check my case as I was with another carrier and had to make a decision to either wait at the carousel for my case and miss the flight or leave it, I chose to leave it and boarded the flight with minutes to spare.

On arrival I filed a report with the airport and I am praying it turns up soon, my camera is there with all the pics of my trip plus
Professonal pics taken onboard at the Captains cocktail party. I also had to make a trip to M&S today as most of my unmentionables are in my case!!!

Hopefully this will have happy ending.

john

Post by john » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:21 am

Holiday sounds great Karl. glad you had a good time, hope you get your case back soon.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:36 am

What a fantastic trip Karl xxx

karl

Post by karl » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:32 pm

Good news I have my suitcase. I decided to take a trip to the airport today and it was there, it would have been good of them to call me though as they had my mobile and landline numbers!!!

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Your holiday certainly has the wow factor Karl. There was so much to see & do.
Glad you got your suitcase back especially as your camera was in it with all the memories of your trip. ☺

karl

Post by karl » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:20 pm

maureen & harry wrote:Your holiday certainly has the wow factor Karl. There was so much to see & do.
Glad you got your suitcase back especially as your camera was in it with all the memories of your trip. ☺
I'm still finding it hard to believe I was on the QM2, I really did this milestone birthday in style LOL

john

Post by john » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:25 am

Glad you got your case back Karl.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:29 am

Pleased you had a really great time Karl :) ……..we missed you on here......you just made it back in time with Thomas Cook Karl as it has just collapsed :(
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

karl

Post by karl » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 am

ROBERT M. wrote:Pleased you had a really great time Karl :) ……..we missed you on here......you just made it back in time with Thomas Cook Karl as it has just collapsed :(
Yes I just read that Robert and it was a very new plane and we took off right on time. Glad I got home in time but feel sorry for stranded passengers.

Return to “The Lounge”