Don Black on Radio 2

News, Sports, Films, TV, Arts, Entertainment and Events
ROBERT M.

Re: Don Black on Radio 2

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:19 am

Well, It's Over It's Over It's Over..............on his final programme Don played his favourite songs from his previous series over the years ...............he played Jimmy Durante yet again which he has played countless times including two weeks ago.........he played two songs he has written himself........he ended the programme with his latest song I Owe It All To You by Shirley Bassey (the record label gave Don permission to play this song tonight as the song hasn't been released yet) ...........and one of his most successful songs he has ever written Walk Away by "matchless Matt" and said it will seem strange not to be saying "matchless Matt" again :( .................but.............Don will be back for two special programmes................to celebrate Matts 90th anniversary he is back with an hour special, full of Matt songs :) ..........also he is presenting a two hour special on Christmas Day playing Christmas songs by similar artist's as he has played over the years :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

It's great about the two programmes Robert but if the Christmas Day programme is Christmas songs there won't be any with Matt will there.
Did he record any?.

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:47 pm

I agree with you Sandra about the spelling in RT he gets a mention then it's spelt wrong.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 am

Christine Hampshire wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm
It's great about the two programmes Robert but if the Christmas Day programme is Christmas songs there won't be any with Matt will there.
Did he record any?.
Matt did record two Christmas songs Christine
Mary's Boy Child and When A Child Is Born :)
Let's hope Don knows Matt recorded those two songs as he doesn't seem to know all of Matt's recording history :wink:

karl

Post by karl » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:07 am

ROBERT M. wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:55 am
Christine Hampshire wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm
Did he record any?.
Matt did record two Christmas songs Christine
Mary's Boy Child and When A Child Is Born :)
Let's hope Don knows Matt recorded those two songs as he doesn't seem to know all of Matt's recording history :wink:
From what you've said in the past Don doesn't seem to know much about Matt's recordings at all.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:03 pm

We'll probably only find out if he knows about those two Christmas songs Matt recorded when he presents his Christmas special on Christmas day..........if he knows Matt did record those two songs I'm sure he will include at least one of them on his show ........if he doesn't know then he won't :wink:

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:34 pm

We enjoyed Sunday's show and we thought it was one of his best. There were some great songs by some great singers. We are sorry that it has come to an end as he also gave a background story to some of the artists and also the composers.

Good to hear that Don is going to do a one hour programme of Matt's songs which reminded us of the tribute he did of Matt on the 10th Anniversary of his death in 1995 which we still have on tape and think it will be a similar sort of programme. 🙂

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Oh yes Robert forgot about those two songs I was thinking more about something like Jingle Bells and White Christmas.... also if he plays When A Child Is Born it will be by Johnnie Mathis.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:46 am

We do quite well on our local radio 'Big bands and Balladeers' Sunday afternoon programme .Last year we requested Matts When A Child Is Born which was played. Lately out of the blue they have played And Roses And Roses and Hello Dolly.
We regularly have the likes of Portrait and other favourites asked for by listeners.
Stranger In Paradise and Around The World are others we have asked for and been on.

Does any one else ever try their local station . We generally are Radio 2 listeners but we know that a Sunday afternoon is a good chance of hearing a 'Matt track' :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:21 am

Did any one see Don Black get his special award on the Oliviers and then get interviewed by Jason Manford?

karl

Post by karl » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:44 pm

Yes I saw it Sandra.

Return to “Entertainment World”