Don Black on Radio 2

News, Sports, Films, TV, Arts, Entertainment and Events
ROBERT M.

Re: Don Black on Radio 2

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:04 am

Only three programmes left after tonight..........another enjoyable and sometimes sentimental show from Don tonight, with some great songs and singers including "matchless Matt" singing Around the World :) .......Robert Goulet with Once Upon a Time and the lovely Alma Cogan song written by Noel Coward If Love Were All..........it goes a bit weird on 45 minutes, just before Don plays a song by Harry Connick Jnr .....he goes from sounding clear to sounding very muffled as though that segment of the show was added later, maybe from his home ............he does give the game away with the mystery singer by saying he has played her song Old Cape Cod a few times before :wink:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:26 pm

Yes, we agree with you Robert that it was one of his best shows. ☺

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm

I think it was his best show for a while Maureen and Harry ...........Alma Cogan's sister told Don that If Love Were All was her favourite song of Alma's ..........(I call it the Hey Ho song) :wink: :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 am

Just two more programmes to go after tonight's show ..............he played songs by his favourite lyricist's tonight, but didn't include any songs by Hoagy Carmichael, which is a wonder as he's always playing Matt songs from the said persons album :wink: ..........another good entertaining programme from Don ..........he did play Jimmy Durante singing Young At Heart and Peggy Lee again singing The Folks Who Live On the Hill both of which he has played recently ..............the "matchless Matt" song was the lovely The Nearness of You :) .............he ended tonight's show with Eva Cassidy's lovely rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:46 pm

Yes Robert, we enjoyed Don's show this week, especially Matt of course along with Peggy & Ella and quite a few others. 🙂

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:11 am

Don's penultimate show was another good mix of songs from the past (songs Don wished he had written)..........Don has played this song a few times recently but I love My Foolish Heart which was tonight sung by Nat King Cole :) ............I Concentrate On You by Lena Horne is a great uplifting song :) ..............and Don's "matchless Matt" song was yet again another constant repeat.......... Time After Time ........but it is a great song :) ...............the final song tonight was Don's wife Shirley's favourite It Had To Be You sung tonight by "our Vic" as David Jacobs called him :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am

Can't believe only one more show to go. Very sad.

Incidentally todays ' 'Tracks Of My Years' on the Ken Bruce show is Don Blacks choice.

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:33 pm

ROBERT M. wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:10 am
Just two more programmes to go after tonight's show ..............he played songs by his favourite lyricist's tonight, but didn't include any songs by Hoagy Carmichael, which is a wonder as he's always playing Matt songs from the said persons album :wink: ..........another good entertaining programme from Don ..........he did play Jimmy Durante singing Young At Heart and Peggy Lee again singing The Folks Who Live On the Hill both of which he has played recently ..............the "matchless Matt" song was the lovely The Nearness of You :) .............he ended tonight's show with Eva Cassidy's lovely rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow :)
Robert -- thanks for the report and especially the colours. Hoary Carmichael wrote The Nearness of You with lyrics by Ned Washington. Not one of my favourite MM or HC songs.

I'd rather hear Doris Day sing Over the Rainbow. I can hear anyone sing The Folks Who Live on the Hill, as it's simply gorgeous.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:13 pm

We enjoyed Don's show and especially "Matchless Matt" singing Thime After Time.

We also enjoyed Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga singing a duet. We have them on a CD singing a really good version of "The Lady Is A Tramp".

We are still wondering what he will choose as his final farewell choice.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:39 pm

Lets try and guess what Dons final track will be next Sunday ................if he finishes with a Matt song it could be....... Softly As I Leave You or You're Gonna Hear From Me :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Good idea Robert and hopefully he might finish with a Matt song. If so perhaps it would be because of his long standing friendship with Matt and he could choose If I Never Sing Another Song or Walk Away both of which Don wrote the lyrics for. 🙂🙂

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:28 am

A shame that the small article on Don Black announcing his final show on page 114 of the Radio Times mentions Matt MUNRO :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:43 pm

Just reading online that Don will be playing the title track from Shirley Basseys new album 'I Owe It All To You' on his final programme this Sunday night.

john

Post by john » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:04 pm

You just beat me to it Sandra, I just read that too. And Don wrote it too. :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:08 pm

That's why he is playing that particular song then :wink: ..............in the preview for the show on my Youview box it mentions that Shirley Bassey is one of the artist's featured this week BUT in all these years that the show has been on they have NEVER mentioned that Matt was going to be one of the artist's played the following week !!!!

Return to “Entertainment World”