Don Black on Radio 2

News, Sports, Films, TV, Arts, Entertainment and Events
ROBERT M.

Don Black on Radio 2

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 am

Let's give Don Black his own page now :)

I listened to Dons first programme tonight and it was a really enjoyable and entertaining show, including Matts Memphis In June. I did think he was going to play A Time For Love after mentioning that song just beforehand.

One thing he must have been wrong about though, he said he knew Matt (his best friend) since about 1961, but that cannot be correct. Matt was already a star by then having hit records since 1960............. Matt and Don knew each other very well before then, when they where both trying to make it during the Denmark Street (Tin Pan Alley) days in the 50's ..........so Dons remark was odd :roll:
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Re: Don Black on Radio 2

Post by Sandra » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 am

We agree Robert.It is just the type of programme we needed to replace the irreplaceable David Jacobs.
The music choices were great,the anecdotes fascinating and the fact that he spoke so warmly about Matt
ensures that we will listen every week,especially as we are to have a weekly 'Matt moment' :D :D

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:16 pm

I really enjoyed listening to Don Black last night. A lovely tribute to David Jacobs--and did he really say he was going to play Matt every week ? I was just dozing off then, but woke up fully to listen to Matt sing "Memphis in June". And really good to hear him follow up with "that was the irreplaceable Matt Monro"

I think he will be a great replacement for David.
Mariana

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 pm

We were looking forward to Don Black's programme last night and it didn't disappoint. He said he was dedicating it to David which we thought was a nice and appropriate gesture.
David and Don both have a great deal of respect for each other.
Don said that there would be a lot of name dropping in the programme, but who cares when he spoke of Matt with such warmth and genuine sincerity and of other singers and song writers who have given us pleasure.
We read in one music magazine that Don will be presenting this programme for the next Three months, but although Don is a very busy person, it would be nice if it was permanent. :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes it was a great start by Don L&H...................... and Marian I said last week :wink: that Don was giving us a "Matt Moment" every week :) .......................BUT why did Don say about knowing Matt since 1961 when he knew him MUCH earlier than that :!:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes, I know what you mean Robert. Matt and Don were both regulars in Tin-pan Alley looking for work, unless they were like ships that passed in the night. :D
What Don probably meant to say was that it was about 1961 when they began their collaboration in working together. :)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:44 am

Matt and Don knew each other very well during the Tin Pan Alley days, in the book it say's that Don leant Matt some money when they were both "absolutely skint" at the time :wink:

Wasn't it Walk Away in 64 that Don wrote lyrics for Matt for the first time ? .........or was it April Fool a little earlier ?

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:37 am

Another enjoyable programme tonight. Don kept to his word and we were treated to Matt's lovely rendition of " Didn't We" plus some more of those classic songs that puts some of the so called songwriters of today to shame.
Don said that Matt never made a bad recording,... even though the most ardent fans of Matt might disagree, as they would of most of their top favourite vocalists ) we'd be the first to say that Al Martino made one or two duff ones, but Don remained loyal, although he did say the same about Tony Bennett too. :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am

Really loved the show again last night---and so great to hear Matt sing "Didn't we".
Mariana

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 am

mariana44 wrote:Really loved the show again last night---and so great to hear Matt sing "Didn't we".

We agree Marian. :D :D

Would like to be able to write and tell him how much we are appreciating his programme but their are no 'contact the show' details which is unusual :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 am

mariana44 wrote:Really loved the show again last night---and so great to hear Matt sing "Didn't we".
Does this mean you stay awake during Don Black?! Perhaps David Jacobs's instrumentals put you to sleep. I miss the two instrumentals. But it doesn't make sense that a lyricist would include music without words.

I am not raving about Don Black's show like everyone else here. I don't need to know that his kids played games with Michael Jackson. I think his comments about Anthony Newley and Pure Imagination were the highlight of last week's programme.

Which version of Didn't We did he play? I hope the one on Matt Uncovered. I'm ready to hear Two People, Walk Away, or If There Ever is a Next Time.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

I have to say that I did drop off before the end of the show--so I did not hear him mention Anthony Newley. Luckily the last 2 weeks he played Matt near the beginning.
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 am

David Jacobs always played three instrumentals at around 11.15 ......11.30 .......and 11.45 :wink: ............. :)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:15 am

Paul, your mention of not wanting to hear of Don's kids playing with Michael Jackson prompted us to say that the inclusion of famous stars and celebrities are usually part of Don's introduction to the songs, although some e-mails we have received from friends have said that they are enjoying the music he plays, but find him a little irritatingly egoistic. !!!!
Maybe this has something to do with Dons upbringing and his rise to fame and success, which is fair enough. This couldn't be said of our Matt though could it. He never changed :D :D

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Im sorry to say I missed the first week of Don's new show but heard last Sundays.
It was lovely to hear him speak so warmly of our Matt and to hear the beautiful "Didn't
We" glad to know he is playing Matt every week hope not to miss anymore.

Return to “Entertainment World”