Don Black on Radio 2

News, Sports, Films, TV, Arts, Entertainment and Events
Sandra

Re: Don Black on Radio 2

Post by Sandra » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:25 am

Such sad news we have relied on his Sunday night show to play Matt and other wonderful music for so long. :(

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Robert M (or Robert W :D ) gets my vote to take over the series.

I still miss David Jacobs and his collection. I enjoyed those Sunday nights on Radio 2 so much with Memories for You, Your Hundred Best Tunes, and Malcolm Laycock (I think that was his name; he played the best in big bands at 10pm). I can't remember who had the 9pm hour but he played standards with an interesting theme. Maybe Malcolm Laycock did a shift during the week and not the 10pm big band show. (I've written about these shows before, so the answer is hidden somewhere in this forum!)

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks for recommending me Paul and Karl :) .........yes I do like Meat Loaf Karl, I must have mentioned the fact on here before :wink: ...........can you imagine listening to Paradise By the Dashboard Light or Bat Out of Hell on Radio 2 between 11 and 12 pm on a Sunday...........but I could play Meat Loafs ballads like Two Out of Three Ain't Bad or Heaven Can Wait etc :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 pm

We were sorry to hear that this is Don's last series but as he is now over 80 and has recently had the Covid 19 virus, we think this may have taken a toll on his general health.

Sunday night wont be the same and we hope whoever takes over will choose similar sort of music and of course include Matt from time to time.

We wish him well for the future. 🙂

karl

Post by karl » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 am

paul jh wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:34 pm
Robert M (or Robert W :D ) gets my vote to take over the series.

I still miss David Jacobs and his collection. I enjoyed those Sunday nights on Radio 2 so much with Memories for You, Your Hundred Best Tunes, and Malcolm Laycock (I think that was his name; he played the best in big bands at 10pm). I can't remember who had the 9pm hour but he played standards with an interesting theme. Maybe Malcolm Laycock did a shift during the week and not the 10pm big band show. (I've written about these shows before, so the answer is hidden somewhere in this forum!)
Paul I think you mean Malcolm Lockyer.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm

No, Paul is right it was Malcolm Laycock . He seemed to have been treated badly by the BBC and they axed his Sunday show. He was always a supporter of Chris Dean and the Syd Lawrence Orchestra In the early days of their annual conventions he always attended and joined in at the bar with the guys in the band.
Their were lots of 'personalities' in the band in those days with many a tale to tell.
Not so much these days lots of fine young players who do as they are told!

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:29 pm

P.S Paul- maybe Benny Green ?

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:22 pm

It was Russell Davies. I found a thread on his show. Robert M always listened to his show.

I liked how Malcolm Laycock mentioned the bands who were touring. And he played great music. I listened to the Syd Lawrence Orchestra CDs you gave me again recently. The movies album is my favorite. And I love Holiday for Strings on the Glenn Miller tribute.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:17 am

Sandra wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:27 pm
No, Paul is right it was Malcolm Laycock . He seemed to have been treated badly by the BBC and they axed his Sunday show. He was always a supporter of Chris Dean and the Syd Lawrence Orchestra In the early days of their annual conventions he always attended and joined in at the bar with the guys in the band.
Their were lots of 'personalities' in the band in those days with many a tale to tell.
Not so much these days lots of fine young players who do as they are told!
Sandra I have never heard of Malcolm Laycock.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:37 pm

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:44 am

On a show dedicated to song writer Mack Gordon........... Don played a Matt recording from the 50's, before Matt became a household name with the song Did You Ever See a Dream Walking :) ...........a good overall programme but not as good as last weeks in my opinion :wink: :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:34 am

At least it proves that he has more than the Hoagy Carmichael CD Robert :) I always love listening to that early voice. A nice Joan Regan version of the Glenn Miller classic as well :D

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:33 pm

We agree Robert that last week's show was better than the one last night
but we still enjoyed it. We are still holding our breath that he will play something from the new album even if we have to wait until the last show! 🙂 🙂

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:06 pm

I agree it wasn't as good as last weeks show, but still enjoyed it hope he does play one from the new CD fingers crossed.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Received Don Blacks new book today. 'A Life In Lyrics' The Sanest Guy in The Room. Quote from Michael Ball

It's B----- brilliant----Read it'! Has anyone else ordered it?

Return to “Entertainment World”