News, Sports, Films, TV, Arts, Entertainment and Events
Sandra

Re: Don Black on Radio 2

Post by Sandra » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:58 pm

I'd thoroughly recommend it so far. :D

john

Post by john » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:34 pm

There are a couple of good reviews on amazon Sandra. :) I haven't ordered it as yet, but may well do in the near future.

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:14 pm

Yes Sandra we will be ordering it in due course like John. We also saw the write ups.

If it's as good as his book "Wrestling With Elephants" then we are in for another good read.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:52 am

On his programme tonight Don played Matt singing Let Me Sing a Happy Song ..........he also played a tribute song from Vera Lynn :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:18 pm

Enjoyed Don's program especially Matt singing Let Me Sing a Happy Song.

He also played a good selection of songs sung by Eydie Gorme, Steve Lawrence, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee to name but a few.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 am

Do we know why the current show is Dons last? Is it his decision or the BBC ?

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:58 pm

Yes Sandra we thought the same but there was an interesting interview with Don in the Guardian on the 29th July on the internet in which he said that at 82 he had been forced to give up his Sunday night Radio 2 Series due to lack of his time. He is not going to retire and there are plans to rework "Tell Me On A Sunday".

Also an interview in the Herald 20th July (internet) again refers to Matt and that Maureen Lipman is a big fan of Matt.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 am

On an entertaining programme tonight, Don played Matt singing the "definitive" version of the classic song Time After Time ...........Don said that if David Niven could sing, he would sound like Matt (but he has said that before) :wink: :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:20 am

A two page spread in the new Radio Times saying he will 'step down in October'. Just a brief mention of Matt .
Mainly talking about his career and the book.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:29 am

Another entertaining show from Don tonight ............he did repeat previous comments regarding Eartha Kitt before playing a song by her.............before he played his song by "matchless Matt" he read out a letter he received from Maureen Lipman in which she praises Matt ............Maureen is from my neck of the woods, so there must be a few Matt fans in East Yorkshire ................the only downside was that he went back to the Hoagy Carmichael album again tonight! and played the same song that he played on his first show in this series.................but it was Matts glorious rendition of I Get Along Without You Very Well :)

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:53 pm

We enjoyed the show and we heard a couple of songs we hadn't heard before. The Hoagy Carmichael CD is one of our favourites but we would like him to choose something different too but he's got a few weeks to go yet so here's hoping he will do that ☺

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I'm surprised there were a couple of songs you hadn't heard before Maureen and Harry...........all the songs have been played on a Sunday by Radio 2 over the past 15 - 20 years or so since I started listening ..........especially Russell Davies , David Jacobs and now Don Black who play/played all those old time classic songs :wink: :)

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:32 am

On Radio 4 last night a programme called Front Row an interview with Don Black .

Obviously talking about his new book( Has no one bought it yet it is excellent!) But lot's of lovely bits of Matt and his songs. Quite a poignant interview I thought.

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Just spotted in the TV and Puzzle section of the Mail On Sunday page 73 a three star review on The Sanest Guy In The Room with a nice mention of Matt :D :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:34 am

Sandra, I bought Wrestling With Elephants but don't think I read much of it, so won't be buying the new one ............on his varied programme tonight Don was in repeat mode again playing "matchless Matt" singing a song he only played just TWO weeks ago Time After Time ...........Matt recorded hundreds of songs, but for the past two weeks Don has repeated songs he has already played in this series ! ..............Don said the mystery singer was hard.......but it was easy, as he sings like he talks :wink: :)

Return to “Entertainment World”