Re: Brian Matthew. " Sounds Of The Sixties"

Post by karl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm

Lena & Harry Smith wrote:Yes, tell them to shove it. :x :x
Damn right L&H but you forgot to add "Where The Sun Don't Shine" !!! LOL

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Ahh you guessed then Karl. :D :D
BTW a nice picture of Dusty on Facebook on the Brian Matthew discussion of the Sixties. It's about Dionne Warwick's dismay that other singers ... including Dusty recorded... "Anyone Who Had A Heart " SHAME AINT IT. :roll:

karl

Post by karl » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Lena & Harry Smith wrote:Ahh you guessed then Karl. :D :D
BTW a nice picture of Dusty on Facebook on the Brian Matthew discussion of the Sixties. It's about Dionne Warwick's dismay that other singers ... including Dusty recorded... "Anyone Who Had A Heart " SHAME AINT IT. :roll:
Dionne Warwick is a kingsize pain in the ass about that song, she's never let up on it - like she never had any hits - yeah right ! I still think CIlla's version is knockout.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 am

Why can't other singers record any of her songs ? or even Anyone Who Had a Heart for that matter ?..........I think other singers have a right to give their own interpretations to songs they want to record :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Letter in this weeks Radio Times complaining about Brians 'departure' reply from the head of programmes on Radio Two part of which(after a load of blurb about being in touch with him etc) ''Brian is irreplaceable at 8 a.m. on a Saturday so we are moving the time of Sounds Of The 60's to 6 A.M. with a live show hosted by Tony Blackburn.IF IT IS TOO EARLY FOR SOME LISTENERS,THEY CAN LISTEN VIA THE BBC IPLAYER'')

So There!!! :x

karl

Post by karl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Sandra I sometimes listen online if I can't be bothered getting up at that time but no way will I get up at 6 to listen to Tony Blackburn as I can't be bothered with him.

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:14 am

Tony Blackburn's dad who was a doctor (GP) delivered one of Marty Wild's children .............most people had children at home in those days :wink: :)
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Well it seems that after 27 years Brian will be presenting Sounds Of The Sixties tomorrow morning the 25th Feb for the last time, and the programme will be a compilation of his favourite moments from his time behind the mike at Radio 2.
In one of his interviews he talked of Matt, and remembers doing a show at the Albert Hall with Matt with guitarist Bert Weedon on the same bill. Brian was told to look after Matt who was extremely nervous at the beginning of his career and remembers how the audience cheered and applauded Bert. Matt was very modest and said ..., how can I follow that. Brian reassured him and the minute Matt took the Mike he was of course absolutely great and the rest is history.
Brian said that Matt was up there on top with all the singers including the top American singers. Brian ended the conversation saying that Matt was really something. Phenominal !!
Well Brian has been phenominal too. We will miss him and so will millions of other loyal and dedicated listeners.
Sounds Of The Sixties will never be quite the same again, and we wish Brian well for many years to come.

karl

Post by karl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm

L&H according to Radio Times Brian will do the odd show from time to time.

I Knew this day would come due to his age, the show will never be the same without Brian and I certainly won't get to at 6 to listen to Tony Blackburn, never cared for him anyway.

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm

Yes we've heard this before. That's probably to stop having the avid listeners complaining Karl. :(

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Listened to Brians show this morning. He played some of his favourite numbers with a few pre recordings added.
As always an enjoyable selection, that included one of my favourite Dusty Springfields recordings, " All I See Is You" but he did mention at the end that he had enjoyed every minute of his 27 years with "Sounds Of The Sixties" but was sad to be leaving, but will be back with something new on Radio 2.
We'll have to wait and see.

karl

Post by karl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:50 am

Brian left a true professional with his dignity intact. I will miss him greatly as he had a very warm voice and his musical knowledge was exceptional.
I wondered if there was hidden message in some of his song choices (i.e.) Dusty's All I See Is You and & Cilla's Anyone Who Had a Heart.

jon

Post by jon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:52 am

Did anyone listen to Tony Blackburn's debut as SOTS presenter this Saturday? I have to say I was very disappointed. Gone was the variety of the old format when rare/obscure tracks were played, along with the more familiar stuff, as well as the special slots and features that made the programme so appealing. There was a contribution from Phil 'The Collector' Swern, who played two tracks of his choosing, but that was about it, and even that felt like tokenism. The rest consisted of Blackburn playing the kinds of songs you've heard a thousand times before (mainly chart hits) and, to add insult to injury, the programme now starts two hours earlier (at 6am), and he's even revived Arnold the dog! I really hope it doesn't continue in this vein.

karl

Post by karl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 am

Never liked Tony Blackburn, I see he's now 74 but still acts like a teenager, Brian Matthews shoes are very hard to fill and I doubt they ever will be, we've had the best - forget the rest !

Return to “Entertainment World”