The Book

All news and announcements regarding publication of 'The Singer's Singer'
Marian

Re: The Book

Post by Marian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:14 am

I'd forgotten your Woolworth's voucher Lena, it might be worth a try! :D
Have you noticed we are now level pegging in the posting stakes? Please take up your position again where you should always be... up front!! :D :D
Marian :wink:

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 am

I'll have to take that voucher out of the frame now Marian.
Well, we're at level pegging. I thought you was talking about our gammy legs at first. :D
Oh well we are in double good company then. :) :)

Marian

Post by Marian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 am

Best foot forward Lena!! :wink:
Marian xx

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:35 am

I think it's time for Harry to step up to the plate for his 20th posting!

Lena: so pleased we both love No Not Much by the Four Lads. There's nothing better than singing along to that four part harmony and changing the part to sing each time. Harry: what is your favourite Four Lads song?

Somehow it just seems perfect that "The Wonder of Wollies" is selling The Singer's Singer, the Matt Monro biography.

Edgar

Post by Edgar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:09 pm

The South Wales Echo today carried a review of "The Book" today. I tried to cut and paste but failed, so I'll type the article.

What's it about?

It seems appropriate that the publication date for this biography should be just before Valentines's Day, because it is a real labour of love. Michele Monro is the daughter of singer Matt, and four years of research have gone into her book. It has been time well spent. Readers, whether they be fans of the late singer, or merely followers of popular music from the 1960s to the present, will find it an informative and entertaining experience. A true Cockney, former bus driver Matt Monro had hit records all over the world, including Born Free, and From Russia With Love, and travelled the globe performing to appreciative audiences. He counted the likes of Sammy Davis Jr, Winifred Atwell, George Martin and Tony Hancock as his friends.

Is it any good?

He never found superstar status in the country of his birth, but this fabulous book is a fitting tribute to the man with the golden voice.

Blimey, my fingers hurt now! (not part of the review :D :D :D)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi Paul, thanks, just had my second reminder from Lena, and she has left it all to me to chalk up my 20th post. :wink:
My favourite Four Lad's number to " No Not Much" is "Moments To Remember." and we have nostalgic reminders of their harmonising talent on a dvd, delivered to us by our good friend John. :) :)

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Edgar, that is a great newspaper review of Micheles book.
It couldn't have come out at a more appropriate time, coupled with the Anniversary of Matt's passing and St Valentines Day.
It's definitely a labour of love.
I'm a Third of the way into the book, and hoping to finish reading it today.
Every home should have one. :) :)

Edgar

Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Just wanted to say I have just finished the book. What a fantastic story. It brought back memories of the first time I saw Matt in concert when I was a very young man :) :) and also of the time when I went to see him in concert in Cardiff in 1984.

Michele, you have done a remarkable job and I congratulate you :D :D :D :D :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:28 pm

I see delivery time for W.H. Smith's for The Singers Singer is 1 to 2 weeks. :?

maureen & harry

Post by maureen & harry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm

HMV are selling the book in some of their stores at £15.

We saw it in Waterstones in Manchester but not under Biography ( the obvious place) but in the music section. Our experience was the same as Sandra & John's.

Maureen & Harry :roll:

Silverfox

Post by Silverfox » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

I am just coming to the end of this 632 page marathon but what a read and the so moving Introduction by Michele sets you up for the roller coaster that follows. The little messages all the way through the book make very personal reading every Matt Monro fan must read this incredible story.

Return to “The Singer Singer”