Special Reserve

All news and announcements regarding publication of 'Special Reserve'
Mark Fox

Re: Special Reserve

Post by Mark Fox » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:10 am

At long last I've been reading the book - I didn't want to start and then put it down.
It's a marvellous work Michele - it took me on a truly emotional journey. I love the pictures, sessionography and especially the accompanying CD - rarities indeed! I read passages out loud to Margaret so that we could both share the moments.
Your book is the crowning achievement in all you have done to ensure Matt's legacy is available to his loyal fans-you are doing a fantastic job!
Love,
Mark

Josh

Post by Josh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Well I was ecstatic to receive the Singer's Singer Special Reserve for my birthday. Special Reserve? More like Spectacular Reserve!!! It truly is an incredible item, I was quite happy just holding it in my hands!

First of all the slip case, nice and sturdy fortunately! It was a terrific touch to have Matt's signature on the spine and back plus the whole colour scheme of the edition is great, the red and black give a sophisticated, stylish look to the set 8)

I'm only on page 56 of the biography but I am loving it! Very well written Michele, excellent work! The layout of the book is not only unique but a great idea, having the photos scattered throughout the book instead of just as an insert in the middle like most biographies was brilliant. Until I finish the book I can't write many thoughts about the text other than that so far it has been engrossing, funny and touching. You deserve a big pat on the back for this piece of work Michele!

Next the extra book, and what an extra it is! I was thrilled when I discovered each original studio album had been given it's own in-depth review FANTASTIC! Again the layout and look of this volume truly is exceptional. A highly interesting and informative text accompanies various photos of Matt at work in the studio, performing etc. The level of research that has gone into this piece by Richard and Michele truly is mind blowing, everything is here, time of the sessions, dates of sessions, dates of broadcasts, recording of broadcasts, songs recorded etc utterly astounding just to read the statistics.The extra price tag is worth it just for this superb accompaniment but wait there's more!

And that more is, of course, the special reserve disc. Truly deserving the word special, the disc would have been worth it just for the historical Polka Dots and Moonbeams and yet more rare Monro magic is contained. I truly loved the tracks that just featured Matt's voice and piano, they are truly outstanding. This disc really is worth owning just for the significance of the tracks contained. The remastering by Richard is again superb! That man truly is THE BEST at what he does, considering the age and condition of where these tracks have come from, again it's mind blowing what has been accomplished here. Well done Richard!

Overall this Special Reserve ranks as not only one of the greatest books of all time but one the most if not THE most essential item for any Monro fan. My deepest thanks to both Michele and Richard for all their hard work on this piece of art, it truly is appreciated and I shall enjoy this for many, many years to come.

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 pm

What a wonderful present to receive on your birthday, and it was so good to read your positive comments on it, plus the splendid review--I am sure Michele will be thrilled at your thoughts on the book, coming from a younger age bracket than is usual--even though you are now 1 year older :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mariana

paul jh

Post by paul jh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:55 am

I always look forward to reading your reviews, Josh. So pleased that you got the very best birthday present. I think someone knows your excellent taste in music! Keep posting more of your book review.

Marian

Post by Marian » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:50 am

Great review Josh, your enthusiasm really comes over..you should put one on Amazon.
Marian :D

Sandra

Post by Sandra » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:06 am

Wonderful reviews Josh and only 56 pages in.Look forward to hearing more from you :D :D

john

Post by john » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:28 am

Great review Josh. I got my Special Reserve at the book launch, and only finished reading it a couple of weeks ago, just brilliant. :D

Michele Monro

Special Reserve

Post by Michele Monro » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:39 am

Josh, I am so thrilled that you are enjoying every aspect of the special edition Richard and I spent three years putting together. For me, the special edition was the icing on the cake on the whole publishing deal. It is a concept that I wanted to document for years and to see it come to fruition was a joy. I also had quite a few arguments with the publisher about the project, but having won most of the battles, it is nice not to have egg on my face.

I would love a follow up when you get deeper into the book and I for one look forward to reading the next segment. If you do get the time I would dearly love you putting the review on amazon, as these sorts of comments help others decide whether they wish to buy it or not.

Thanks again and a belated happy birthday
Warmest wishes
Michele

Josh

Post by Josh » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Thanks for all the great comments! It's hard not to be enuthastic when your writing about something so special and unique :)

Along with receiving the special reserve I was also delighted to get the "Ultimate Performer" DVD and at last one of the twofoers (These Years and The Late Late Show) so expect thoughts on those items soon!

Thanks again to all the work put in to this great set :D

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:32 am

Well I've finally got around to finding the time to finish the book and so as promised here's my review of the actual book (I know it's a little late!)

Well what can I say? I loved it for one! It's such a unique read and once you start you really can't put it down, I often had to tear myself away from it in order to get on with the day! Alas the wonderful journey had to come to an end at some point and I really do wish there was more but what Michele has done truly is astounding. The jacket states she took 4 years researching this mammoth production, that's a helluva lot of work and deserves a huge round of applause, she really has given the fans something special.

The whole story is contained within these pages which is such a thrill I can't tell you how many books I've read on Sinatra, Darin, Martin etc where attention is only paid to certain aspects of their life but not in this book!
For once a biography on a singing star that places the focus on not just his life but his career as well! Hooray! It was such a joy to read about the origins of some of Matt's biggest hits, this is coupled with great detail discussing not only his albums but his tours as well. All the high points of one of the most incredible careers in music is here.

The book itself is written with a great humour throughout, I found myself laughing out loud at some of the stories Michele tells from Matt's life but of course the sad times are documented as well reading about Matt's last months was hard and I can't even begin to imagine how tough it must have been for Michele to tell this part of the story, the balance between the humour and the seriousness is just right and I never found myself bored with the text.

The sheer amount of detail in the book truly is incredible it must be one of the most detailed biographies of all time! It's the perfect reference for Matt's performing career and it's great to read how much he was appreciated all over the world, the sheer amount of people who flocked to see him in the Philippines is incredible, the way Michele writes about all these performances really makes you wish you were there and you know what the really exciting thing is? In some cases you can go off and hear them! After reading about the first tour of the Philippines I instantly put "Yesterday" on and just revelled in what I just been reading.

Obviously it’s an essential read for any Monro fan, this is the definitive look at the life and career of Britain’s greatest singer from the highest highs to the lowest lows. Thank you Michele for doing this, I can’t thank you enough. I learnt a lot about the man as well as the music, you really don’t see celebrities with Matt’s class today. Highly recommended without a doubt!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Josh, what a fabulous review.

Michele will be just delighted to read this I am sure.
Mariana

Michele Monro

Post by Michele Monro » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Josh, I am absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed the book so much. There is no time limit on reviews as hopefully people will still continue to buy the book and I want to hear everyone's feedback. Researching for so many years makes the documentation huge at the end of the process and I am delighted that I managed to strike the right balance between the laughter and the tears.

It is good of you to note that this is really the definitive story, that is what all the arguing with different publishers was about - the length of the manuscript - and although one could argue that the book runs longer than the norm, I would have to reply that dad had a life that was outside the norm. I didn't want to have to write another book later on or see something written by someone else, this book doesn't really leave an opening for an outsider to pen anything as I have said it all.

Thanks again for taking the time to let everyone know your thoughts, it means a lot to me.

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:47 pm

A great review Josh. I'm sure it would not be too late to add it to the reviews on Amazon and HMV as I'm sure many others would enjoy reading it too. :D

Lena & Harry Smith

Post by Lena & Harry Smith » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:55 pm

A brilliant review of the book Josh, made all the more special by someone younger who has such a genuine appreciation for vocalists of Matt's era. :)

Josh

Post by Josh » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for all your comments! It really was a great read and I'm thinking about starting it again!

Return to “Special Edition”