The Rarer Monro reviews

Five years in the making it delivers exactly what it says on the cover. Stored in the vaults of EMI and the BBC for more than four decades this sees 50 + wonderful new tracks as well as a smattering of unearthed jingles that Matt recorded for some of the most prestigious products of the day.
Eman

Re: The Rarer Monro reviews

Post by Eman » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 am

Woo hoo!! Yea Lindy!!!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:50 am

Well done Lindy for spreading the word in US !!
Mariana

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 am

HOW ABOUT THIS EVERYONE :D :D ............but it's audio only :wink: .............but a couple of stills of Matt :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_KAzIoXD0
"My Tears Will Fall Now That You're Gone,
I Can't Help But Cry, But I Must Go On" :(

LindyG

Post by LindyG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Oh Robert, you got me all excited.

But I've tried to watch that lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng procession of fury tall helmets before, and can never make it to Matt. :lol: Was Matt singing in the two images?

Criminy, can you imagine how hot those poor musicians must get under those furry helmets when they're under hot lights?? :cry:

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:52 am

I think Matt sang around the 30th minute, can't you fast forwad it by scrolling along the bottom ? :)

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Robert--Matt came on 31st/32nd minute.

I tried scrolling forward, and got as far as seeing Matt on the screen, but everytime, the little marker went back to the beginning-I have tried quite a few times-I tried it all in one go, then just a little at a time, but exactly the same result !
Mariana

Marian

Post by Marian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:21 pm

It worked for me Marian and Robert. :D

ROBERT M.

Post by ROBERT M. » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:15 am

:) :) .................I don't think Mariana's PC like's Youtube :wink: :lol:

Eman

Post by Eman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 am

I tried it and it worked after a couple of tries. Great post Robert thanks!!

mariana44

Post by mariana44 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:25 pm

You are right Robert--although it is not my PC, but my server --AOL.
Mariana

jon

Post by jon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:40 pm

I've now had time to listen to the new album and here are my thoughts. First of all, congratulations and thanks go to Michele and Richard for their efforts in making this collection available as it is a major contribution to the Matt Monro discography. I have to say I don't think it's necessarily superior to "The Rare Monro" but there are many great tracks on here which are not available elsewhere.

The standout song, for me (and I know we all feel differently about different songs), is "Time To Go" - some great long phrases on this one, and the last note is surely one of the longest Matt ever sang; it lasts much longer than you think it's going to. Perhaps the second favourite for me is the next one on the disc, "Oh My Child", for much the same reasons, and the sincere way Matt puts it across. I also really like "Everything I Have Is Yours" from Disc 1 as well as "I Know" and "Twixt Twelve and Twenty".

Whilst I enjoyed the early recording of "Once In Every Long and Lonely While" (surely one the finest songs Matt ever sang) I don't feel it's superior to the alternative version, which, on balance, I prefer; the same could be said of "Pretty Polly". Unlike perhaps many forumites, I'm not enamoured of the Spanish tracks, and the version here of "Maria" is not among my favourites, though fine in itself. As to the early version of "Didn't We", Matt gives a fine, distinctive, account, but it could never be better than Johnny Mathis's in my view (which is rather different in any case).

I was surprised to find that the 1961 live session was one of my favourite parts of this album as I don't usually go for live recordings. Matt sounds as polished and professional as on any of his studio recordings and all the songs are well sung, my favourites being "The Folks Who Live On The Hill" and, in particular, "Day By Day". The jingles I can take or leave (though Matt's voice was clearly suited to them) but I think the Kenny Everett sketch is great and a worthy, if light-hearted, addition.

All in all, a superb effort by all concerned and a collection that will keep Matt fans, including me, happy for years to come.

john

Post by john » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Good review Jon, I am in full agreement with you on "Time To Go" and "Oh My Child".

Christine Hampshire

Post by Christine Hampshire » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:35 am

I have now ordered it on Amazon HMV kept me waiting a month and have now
said they can't order it,they could have said that in the first place like their other shop did. I am now waiting again but I know I am getting it and the wait will be worth it.

Terence Lee

Post by Terence Lee » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:01 pm

My CD has arrived, exactly one week after Amazon UK shipped it out. No chance to play it yet but I have read the informative liner notes. Can't wait to hear the songs! :D

Marian

Post by Marian » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Listening to them will help you to heal Terence. :D I hope you are getting better already.

Return to “Matt Uncovered: The Rarer Monro”